Becoming a home owner is the dream of many. As a member of the CRF, you are on the path to realize this dream as we offer two types of affordable home loan options, in partnership with First National Bank (FNB).
Option 1: FNB Smart Housing Plan
Through a surety agreement with FNB, this option allows you to either:
- purchase a house or a plot on which your home will be built
- renovate your current home
The Fund provides a guarantee to FNB for an amount of up to 60% of your resignation benefit; this guarantee allows FNB to provide qualifying members with a housing loan at an attractive rate of interest.
When do you qualify for a pension-backed home loan?
- You must be a member of the CRF
- You must be between 18 and 65 years of age
- The minimum amount you can apply for is R5 000
- The maximum repayment period is 20 years, or up to your normal retirement date if that is sooner
- You must have a South African bar-coded Identification document
- A maximum of 60% of your Member share value within the Fund may be used as surety for a Smart Housing Plan
- Loan repayments are deducted in monthly instalments, directly from your salary (not in the form of a debit or stop order)
- Your Local Authority must have an agreement with FNB before housing loans can be arranged for members of that Local Authority
- Approval of the loan is subject to the National Credit Act in terms of a credit check
- Affordability is assessed and determined by FNB
Checklist of required documentation you will need to take with you.
To apply for the FNB Smart Housing Plan please contact your HR department who will verify that there is an agreement in place and assist you with the application process.
Employees of City of Cape Town may contact the Fund directly for assistance with the application process.
Option 2: FNB Housing Loan for incomes of R3 500 – R25 000
This additional form of housing loan is aimed at members who wish to get a foot onto the property ladder. It incorporates some attractive Value Added Benefits to qualifying members.
What are the rules?
- Available to CRF members earning between R3 500 and R25 000 per month. You must be permanently employed and have been a member of the Fund for more than 6 months
- The purchase price of the house you wish to purchase, must be less than R650 000
- You may not be under administration
- The monthly premium will be deducted from your salary by the employer. The amount depends on the size and term of the loan
- Approval of the loan is subject to the National Credit Act
To apply for this Loan:
These forms need to be submitted directly to FNB as per the details on the cover letter.
For more information on this benefit, please contact our call centre on 0861 CRFUND (0861 273 863)